Saturday, March 12, 2011

First post!

Every blog needs a first post! So, here I am - a little over 5 months from my first Ironman. Training is going to begin in earnest soon, and I wanted a place where I could document - and share - the journey to Louisville.

First off - don't know how consistent posting is going to be, but I hope to make it here fairly regularly. This year is busy - almost insanely so.  I'm a young attorney - just finished a clerkship and started my adventure into firm life 6 months ago. I'm loving work, but definitely still adjusting to the lifestyle. In addition, I got engaged over Christmas and Mark and I are currently planning a "taper wedding" for August 13th. The whole affair is going to be laid-back and low-key, but I'm still looking forward to it :) Two weeks after the wedding ... Ironman Louisville! I had obviously signed up for IMLoo way before the engagement, and I couldn't imagine pushing off the race.

My tri history: I started law school in the fall of 2006. I had gained a good 20 pounds (significant at 5'3) between starting and finishing college,  and wasn't happy with my weight or my body. I had been a runner throughout middle and high school, so I decided to get back into running. I ran my first marathon (Marine Corps) during the fall of 2007. I took it easy and finished in around 4:45.


I continued to race and train for road races into the fall of 2008 - I finished the 2008 Chicago Marathon in around 4:29. 

 *Temps were in the 90s - they went code-red that day!*

After Chicago, I decided I wanted to branch out into tri training. I bought a road bike (that turned out to be WAY TOO big for me!), registered for Mooseman 70.3, and trained with gusto! I did two tris that spring: a small spring in Bethesda, MD, and Bassman in south Jersey.

 *Coming into the finish - it was hot out!*

I was registered for Mooseman, and had pre-ridden the course, but I had to skip the race at the last minute when I came down with a nasty case of strep-throat three days before the race. That was heart-breaking, and I would have signed up for another half-iron later in the summer, but I took the bar exam in July 2009, and spent most of August 2009 traveling.  I did complete the 2009 California International Marathon in December, and finished in 4:11.




2010 was my second tri season, and I fell even more in love with the sport. First tri of the season was Bassman - where I took 18 minutes off my time from the year before, and took 2nd in the 25-29 age group!

 *Tall girl was first, I (middle) was second, blue-shirt girl was third*

Also had a great experience at Devilman Half Lite 50 a week later. In June 2010, I tackled my first half-ironman in Cambridge, MD at Eagleman. Even though the swim was long (or the current was wacky) and the heat index soared to over 100 degrees, I managed to finish in 6:40, with a smile on my face. 



I spent the rest of the summer training, and did my first Century Ride in August. I also did the Half Vermont Journey Half-Ironman in August, where I cut 30 minutes off my Eagleman time - finished in 6:11, and grabbed third-place in the age group.  November 2010 I ran the Philadelphia Marathon, which was a break-through race for me: I finished in 3:52. The race was quasi-spiritual for me: I pushed myself in ways I didn't think possible, and shattered a goal (4 hours) that had seemed absurd when I ran my first marathon. Philly Marathon will always hold a very special place in my heart.


Now I'm on to bigger and better things in the 2011 season.


Here's a quick peek into my 2011 season:
May 1: Long Branch Half Marathon
May 7: Devilman Half Lite 50
June 13: Eagleman 70.3
August 28: Ironman Louisville
November: New York City Marathon

I'm currently registered for all these races, and don't really plan on registering for any more. I may throw in some small road races and/or century rides this summer, but these are the dates etched on my calendar! 

No comments:

Post a Comment